October 1, 2012 - Pittsburgh Pirates All-Star MVP candidate Andrew McCutchen has posted the sixth-highest jersey sales total since the 2012 All-Star Game according Major League Baseball, which has released its current list of most popular MLB jerseys.
McCutchen has skyrocketed to popularity in the league while having a breakout season. He leads the National League in multiple offensive categories, including hits (192) and runs scored (107), and is one of the favorites for the National League MVP. Currently McCutchen is hitting .329, stolen 20 bases, has hit 31 home runs and has 95 RBI's. His .959 OPS (batting average plus on-base percentage) and his 7.1 WAR (wins above replacement) are third in MLB.
With the MLB Postseason rapidly approaching, the current list of most popular MLB jerseys mirrors the top of the standings, as players on Postseason contenders dominate the list. Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees, Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers and Ichiro Suzuki of the Yankees top the list, released jointly today by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, with rookie sensations Bryce Harper and Mike Trout rounding out the top five.
Six players, including Ichiro, Harper, Trout, McCutchen, Yu Darvish and Chipper Jones, made the top ten after not appearing in the top 20 on the 2011 calendar-year list released in March of this year. Seven additional players – Matt Kemp, Joey Votto, Prince Fielder, Jose Bautista, Yadier Molina, Miguel Cabrera and Brett Lawrie– who did not make last year’s list cracked the top 20 this time around. Players representing 12 different MLB Clubs make up the list of top 20 most popular jerseys, including Postseason contenders that haven’t been represented on the list in recent years such as the Washington Nationals, Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds. The top 20 include nine infielders, seven outfielders, two pitchers and two catchers. Of the top 20, 18 were All-Stars in 2012.
MLB Most Popular Jerseys
Based on sales of Majestic jerseys since the 2012 All-Star break
1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
2. Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
3. Ichiro Suzuki, New York Yankees
4. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
5. Mike Trout, LA Angels of Anaheim
6. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
7. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
8. Chipper Jones, Atlanta Braves
9. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers
10. Robinson Cano, New York Yankees
11. Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers
12. David Freese, St. Louis Cardinals
13. Joey Votto, Cincinnati Reds
14. Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
15. Prince Fielder, Detroit Tigers
16. Jose Bautista, Toronto Blue Jays
17. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
18. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
19. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
20. Brett Lawrie, Toronto Blue Jays